tuning with Dampp-Chaser

Patrick C Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:29:59 -0800

Charles: I have experienced the problem of a piano going out of tune after
the case has been opened, particularly on uprights, but I have always
attributed the drift to a change in temperature rather than humidity.  This
happens especially on a cold morning, or when the owner has just gotten home
and turned up the heat in the house.  I can feel the temperature of the
plate, and it is usually pretty cold. I know then that the strings will be
cold and will react quickly to the warmer air hitting them.  Whenever
possible I will do any necessary repairs first so as to let the strings warm
up before I start tuning.  The first time I noticed this phenomenon is when
I was tuning at a house where the furnace repairman had just left.  He had
cranked the thermostat up to 90 to be sure it would come on, and then went
off without turning it back down.  Halfway through the tenor section the
furnace came blasting on, working really well, and the temperature in the
house shot up.  Needless to say those first couple of octaves went haywire,
and I had to wait for the house to cool back down and then started all over.
This can also be a problem in a concert hall which hasn't been brought up to
room temperature before I get there.  I always ask that the hall be up to
"performance" temperature, and they *usually* remember to do it.  There have
been occasions where I've had to go off and do another call to give the hall
time to warm up.  Other times I have just had to say "that's the best I can
do under the circumstances".  After all, its not my piano! :-)
Patrick Poulson, RPT