Bloom

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:32:06 -0800

At 07:39 AM 3/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Crown - downbearing - a good scale with 'warm' plain wire - 'perfect'
>termination - an exact and near perfect strike point - a quality hammer in
>good to excellent condition - good to excellent regulation - a harmonious
>tuning.

Don't forget a room with clear but warm acoustics.

I find that sometimes the "bloom" in some recordings has been added on later,
by putting in "reverb." It just isn't the same. Either the sound has room
to develop and mix between the strings and the mikes, or it hasn't. Some
of the oldest recordings have this naturally developed warm sound, which can
be enjoyed right through the scratches and pops, while some of the most
"hifi" recent recordings come up lacking.

Susan