Acro-Tone, was: 77-121-145 etc.

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 04:06:24 -0800

Terry,
     I have had similar experiences with the Acrosonic which,  I think,  most people consider to be unusually good sounding for its size and style.  They consider it so, not only because it is an unusually good sounding very small vertical, but, rather, an unusually good sounding piano.  By this I mean, as you say, standing favorably in comparison to the standards of sound displayed by prominent makers on their very best instruments.   Even though I think the timbre compares favorably this way, I do think there are some intrinisic qualities that are the negatives associated with such a small piano but I am not sure I know how to phrase them at the moment except to say that the extremely sonorous sound of the Acrosonic overwhelms any negative part of the sound associated with such a small instrument.   I think the best ones come from the thirties and forties.   The routine and, worthy, emphasis on power
and ringtime in discussions here on the list,   should be accompanied, at least as I see it, with reference to timbre as distinct from these, of which this piano is an example, at least for my taste, and that of many others.  Power and ringtime, on the one hand, and beauty of timbre  are not, of course, synonymous, as most Asian pianos demonstrate.
     Beauty of sound, per se, does not necessarily come from size, as the Acrosonic demonstrates.  Some of the Chickering 121s can attain this kind of mellow sound, in my experience, and this model is, perhaps, the smallest grand I am aware that does so,  as do numerous other Chickering models.  Upright pianos with a tenor bridge also  sound like this, for example, the Mason and Risch, some Chickerings, Knabe, certain Mason & Hamlins, etc..
     One of the very best sounding pianos ever built, at least to my ear, similar in quality to the Acrosonic,  and I note others making the same comment, is the Steinway A round tail 88 note, a piano that was copied by several manufacturers early in the 19th century, as were other Steinway models.  This piano was built only from 1892 to 1897 and has a remarkable timber which is, indeed,  similar in quality  but much richer than  the Acrosonic.
     It is, however, burdened with a blatant transition problem at the transitions to the tenor and bass bridge which is frequently made worse by the use of hard, heavy hammers and other things.  It sounds more like a D than do the B and C models.  I would go so far to say that the best of the A's, insofar as timber is concerned, have a better sound than does the D.  Obviously, certain qualifications apply: the D is louder, far, far, more consistent, and does not have the pinched sound in the very lowest bass as has the A.  This piano was copied by AB Chase and others;  the subsequent A, developed in 1897-1898, just after the death of William Steinway,  with its half-round tail was copied by several other manufacturers.  Knabe made a similar piano, although it was c.  6' 3".  On this piano the tenor bridge is not connected to the long bridge as is the case with Steinway and the AB Chase knockoff.   The
sound is, again, extremely rich, notable and frequently commented upon.
     In general,  round-tail pianos are markedly better at achieving this kind of timber, than are the square-tail versions of the same model, although, I believe it is apparent the square-tail pianos in general have more ringtime in the higher treble than do the round-tails.  This can be seen in the A.  The tone is, to my ear, somewhat rougher in the bass and drier and less interesting elsewhere  in the squared-off version of the A as compared to that of the round-tail.   A similar set of observations can be made regarding the O and L.  The O is just a round-tail version of the L with a somewhat different plate.
     Interestingly, when Steinway decided to drop the A from their line-up, they replaced it, their smallest piano, with three smaller instruments, the S, M, and L, which were developed,  I am sure,  in response to competition from the small grands of other manufacturers, of which Chickering quarter grands were, perhaps, most formidable.  In any case, the introduction of the M around 1912 is said to have saved the company.   Maybe these letters were chosen from the words, small, medium and large.
     Subsequently the A was reintroduced into their line-up as the name for, of course, a larger, wholly different piano, the 6'4" model, indicating to me that the public was still aware of the virtues of the model A, wanted it, remembered it and the Company attempted to use this set of expectations, understandably,  to their advantage.  Another interesting point - It appears the round-tail sound was of sufficient import that the company returned to a round-tail version of a design, that of the O,  that had a square-tail variant, which was the L.  The public thus had a choice: a round-tail design and sound or the relatively new square-tail design and sound in one and the same model.
     The early, but also great, musical instrument produced by M&H was the Mason & Hamlin AA  -  another evolutionary product of the round-tail A.  Although the shape of the piano is slightly different in the curves, its width and length slightly different and the soundboard stiffened with thirteen ribs, in comparison to the twelve of the Steinway, it is extremely similar both visually and, technically, to the A.  This was, obviously, intentional.   In the AA, and I think the name exists to trade upon the favorable awareness of the A, the bridge layout, including the tenor bridge, are, virtually, identical to that of the Steinway.  This was not inadvertent but was, rather, calculated, as can be judged from comparing the case, caseparts,  and legs of the one to the other.  The detail work appears to be virtually, identical.  Interestingly enough, one has a piano in which can be discerned the sound
associated, on the one hand, with the sound produced by a Steinway A, and, in the other, the characteristic Mason & Hamlin sound which is associated with pianos lacking the Steinway characteristics of sound.
 Regards, Robin Hufford.