Unglued Hammerheads (Clamping)

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:55:32 +0100

Pierre,
Using a stiffer wire as the "Pure sound" will give a longer sustain and more
brilliance (warmness), I did not do that myself in times but surely would do
now if I had to.
As you will never have very tensioned hammers on these pianos the wire helps
the brilliance and a better attack (with a dwell that develop slowly, as
Stephen Birket mentioned).

The original sound of these pianos is very special, it is far better to try
to match it. The ones I've seen with that kind of wire where better always.

Beside, for the use of Roslau string you may have to check the tensions , be
careful the high treble bridge don't like to have too much (bridge pins) or
it cracks easily.

Thanks for sending back info

Isaac
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
Gevaert Pierre
  Envoyé : mercredi 20 mars 2002 22:25
  À : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Re: Unglued Hammerheads (Clamping)

  Isaac,

  Thanks for your advice.
  I'll contact Desfougeres and ask if they can also put new leather on those
special rollers.
  I'll ask what method they use.
  The hammers that I had get refelt from Abel were ok but as you say, they
should have more experience with this.

  I have recently restrung one of those parallel Erard Grands that you
mention  (used the Roslau blue wire , single strings)
  but left the original basstrings (still in good condition and  good
quality)
  Do you think the Roslau blue is not the right wire to use?
  The results were good and yes, I agree, very nice pianos.
  For me from the best ever made and I now better understand those people
who does only want to hear
  about parallel strung pianos. Fine and rich sound.
  Tuning those is verry easy and pleasant.

  Regards,
  Pierre Gevaert.