tuning high treble

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:37:50 EST

mickeykes2@uf.znet.com writes:

> How do all of you aural tuners handle the high end of the piano?  Any
> trade secrets you'd care to share?
>
> Thanks in advance for all your great advice.
>
> Mickey (Mark) Kessler

Mark

You've gotten some pretty good advice so far. Let me give you a few more
things to think about that has worked for me.

First of all, if you're already using an ETD, unless you want to just do it
to know how to do it, why aren't you using it to tune the whole piano? I
started tuning using the old SAT, (back 25 years ago). By using the machine,
I "learned" what is supposed to be right.

But I can understand you wanting to hear it on your own. Strip muting, as
Clyde suggested, is the way to go. But I want to add two more things to what
he said. First, when you're pushing the strip mute behind the dampers, the
damper should move away from the strings enough for the strip to go in
between. But if the dampers don't want to come forward far enough, take your
business card and slip it between the strings and the dampers. This allows
the the strip to be able to be pushed between teh damper and the string
without damaging the damper felts.

When you're done tuning the middle string, remove the strip, and an insert it
again every other note. Tune the outer strings that are not muted to the
middle string. When you're done, go back and check your octaves, double
octave, octaves and fifth, 17ths, arpeggios, or what ever else method you
feel comfortable with. At this point, you're only tuning two strings. So when
you hear an interval that isn't light, using a rubber mute, mute off the
outside string, tune the middle, and then retune the outer string.

When you're satisfied the upper treble is in tune, go back and reinsert the
strip on the "other" every other note, and tune the outside string to the
middle. When this is done, using a split mute, correct any notes that are
still out.

I like this method because it equalizes the tension on this part of the
board. This area of the piano is the hardest to stabilize, and by retuning it
at least three times, you're constantly checking and correcting any problems.

I hope my explanation wasn't to confusing, or too long, (too late), but it
should help you get a better grip on tuning the high treble.

Wim