77-121-145 etc.

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:44:56 -0800

Robin Hufford wrote:

> Jack,
>      Isn't the 121 the 5'3" piano and the 135 the 5'8"?   Also, I have
> seen (in Hurst) a Chickering Quarter Grand apparently similar in all
> aspects to the 121 but lacking even the very small cheekblocks of the

Jack,
     After looking at the 135,  I realize it is 5'4".  Is it the 133 that is
c. 5'8"?   I have the plate of a Chickering 133, or, at least I think I do,
as I am not quite able to be sure the last number is a 3, it may be a 5.
Nevertheless, the piano, which  had to be disassembled was about 5'8".   It
had been left outside for three years and the protection deteriorated
allowing the piano to get wet and be ruined.
     The 123 I have does not have a letter mark anywhere on the plate that I
can find.  The serial number is about 129,000.  I think the piano is closer
to 6'6" than 6'4".   Perhaps, it is a C as it is so late.  It has the normal
kind of plate as opposed to the one found on the early 123 and on the 121
which are  as you know, curved away from the edge of the soundboard on the
right side of the piano and leave a lot of it exposed, which I think, was
perhaps a good idea.  .
       In the evolution of Chickering is the first 123, from, I guess, about
1885 or so, the model A?   This one, then, would have a  plate like the 121
and would also have brass flanges.  What is the model B and do you think the
one I have described above is a C?  There are lot of interesting comparisons
to be made of the 123 and the 121.  I'll post these later.
Regards, Robin Hufford