tuning high treble

Mickey Kessler mickeykes2@uf.znet.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:16:02 -0800

Hi all,
I've been following some of the esoteric discussions of various
temperaments with some interest, but I have a much more basic question for
the group -- particularly for the aural tuners out there.

I'm learning aural tuning pretty much on my own.  I have an ETD but I'm
trying not to resort to it unless I just get too lost.

I don't have much trouble tuning the lower end of the piano, as a rule.  My
headaches come in the high end of the instrument.

Most of my work is on short-scale spinets and consoles (sigh...).  So my
first question is, how do most of you mute top section, above the
break?  It's so hard to get to, especially on spinets.  Is there a good
trick you can pass along?  Is there a way to strip mute the whole
thing?  If so, what muting material do you use?  Commercial temperament
strips?  Some kind of action cloth?  Do you use Papp mutes?  Rubber mutes?

Next, and more important, what tests do you use to make sure you're getting
the right octave ratio?  I haven't found any test that seems to work
consistently for me.  I'm guessing way too often, and I don't want to make
it a habit.  I find that I have to make a lot of compromises between
octaves, double octaves, tenths -- whatever intervals I can get to work for
my ear on the particular piano.  As a last resort I use arpeggios, on the
theory that at least it'll play in tune in a couple of keys anyway.  In all
cases, it becomes terribly time consuming.

Finally, when it comes to unisons way up there, I find myself resorting
more and more often to plucking strings with a fingernail.  Hitting the
note with the hammer, I just get lost and can't tell if I'm too high or too
low, or where I'm at.  Not all the time, but often enough to wonder what
I'm doing wrong.  Am I just getting old and losing my hearing, or is there
some technique I'm missing?

  How do all of you aural tuners handle the high end of the piano?  Any
trade secrets you'd care to share?

Thanks in advance for all your great advice.

Mickey (Mark) Kessler