Stripping Steinway Ebonized finish

Julio Barea pianoelf@lycos.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:45:19 -0500

Update on my question.  The piano should have had the milk based paint and shellac,varnish finish used at the turn of the century.  Obviously at some point the piano has been refinished in another manner.  It took some checking but I spoke to Faust Piano's in New York.  They specialize in refinishing Steinway's and have done so for many years.  Mr. Faust let me know that thay had probably used a polyester based primer under high-build laquer.  The stripper will take away the topcoat but won't touch the primer underneath.  The only way he knows of removing it is with heat, a scraper, and lot's of elbow grease. Anyone else?

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com