Stripping Steinway Ebonized finish

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:58:59 -0500

Julio,

Is this the original finish or something applied later?

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Vice President - Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
223 W Belmont Dr SW
Calhoun, GA 30701
706 629-3063
agilreath@mindspring.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Julio Barea
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 1:36 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Stripping Steinway Ebonized finish

I have an 1894 Steinway upright that has the ebonized finish on it. I and
going to do a complete refinish on it and am trying to remove the old
finish.
Every stripper I have tried is ineffective on this compound. Any ideas how
to get it off, other than sanding it and then stripping it

Piano Elf Services
Atlanta, Georgia

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com