David Love's comments re. "Stretch"(ugh there's that word 'gin)

Jon Page jonpage2001@attbi.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:24:08 -0500

At 11:41 PM 3/18/2002 -0500, you wrote:beyond A4 in order to not have
dissonant single octaves higher on up.  In the bass, I balance 4ths, 5ths
and octaves and test for equal beating intervals where I can.  For the sub
and 1st octave, I balance the double octave and double octave 5th to get
the most pleasant resonance.

A test I use for the lowest half-octave consists of a five note voicing and
holding these notes with the sostenuto
and hit the tonic in the bass. I, IV in octave 3; I, III, VI in octave 4.
Sometimes substituting a minor third in the right hand.
ie: C,G in oct. 3; C, E, A in oct 4 (sometimes C, Eb, A); hold w/ sos; C1

Allow this to decay and you can hear the partials interacting and fine tune
the low octave.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.