pitch raising muting method

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:15:56 -0800 (PST)

As requested, here is the procedure which I demonstrated in one of the
classes in San Diego.

It saves muting motions if one uses just one muting wedge on the treble
side of a 3 string unison. Tune the left string until the middle  LED of
the SAT III just lights up once. Then tune the center string roughly to
the left string. With the SAT, one can see a representation of both
frequencies (on a p.r., the center str.will at first be too far away to
register in the display until you begin to move it closer to pitch).
Next, move the wedge to the right of the next unison, tune the previous
right string to the other two. Then repeat this same procedure on the
second note. This system requires only one mute move per
note. It is amazing how close the three strings will end up with just
minimum effort. Remember, we are not tuning, but just pretensioning the
piano so that we can give a good fine tuning later.

Jim Coleman, Sr.