I wish (2nd topic)

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:57:03 -0500

And I'll echo those thoughts. As I have posted numerous times before, =
wind instruments have a huge variation in internal tuning. Even though =
they follow a careful format at the manufacturing level, there are too =
many variables which will affect pitch.
Tom Servinsky,RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: JStan40@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 4:38 PM
  Subject: Re: I wish (2nd topic)

    Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:29:42 -0500
    From: Terry Neely <tlneely@mindspring.com>

    I wonder if anyone has done research on wind instruments of the =
periods being
    discussed. Although these instruments are adjustable, instruments =
such as the
    clarinet, flute, etc. have a fixed relationship between the notes in =
the scale. It
    would seem that this relationship would be fixed by the manufacturer =
in the
    temperament style in use at that time.
    Terry Neely  Cary NC

  Terry N.,

  Not wishing to discourage some research into this area, I must still =
say that ALL wind instruments have considerable leeway in pitch beyond =
the manufactured specifications--changes in embouchure alone can change =
the pitch by as much as a quarter of a step.  This being the case, if =
the instrument in question is even reasonably well made, the player can =
find a way to be in tune regardless of the temperament on whatever =
keyboard instrument might be involved.  In short, there are too many =
variables, IMHO, for this line of reasoning to be very satisfying.  =
(From the point of view of a life-long brass player......)

  Regards,

  Stan Ryberg
  Barrington IL
  mailto:jstan40@aol.com=20