Unglued Hammerheads

James Baker JamesBakerRPT@carolina.rr.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:10:39 -0500

I have used medium Dryburgh CA glue and finger clamped a very few  first =
octave hammers at a church and I am presently replacing hammers on =
another piano at the same church.  There were many more hammers loose in =
this one and it would have taken the same amount of time to glue =
correctly and still probably not get a good tone plus no telling when =
the rest of the hammers would let go.  Both pianos are studios.

James
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Paul Plumb=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 11:20 AM
  Subject: Unglued Hammerheads

  I have been asked to reglue hammerheads that have come loose from the =
molding (not the shanks) because of heat in a fire.  I would like to =
know the best kind of glue to use if not hide glue and best way to clamp =
them.  Any other information that may be helpful would be appreciated.  =
The piano is about 30 years old and there does not appear to be any =
other problems except rust formation on the pins and strings.  I realize =
that some of the other hammers may become loose in the future and have =
warned the client.

  Thanks,

  Paul Plumb
  Plumb Pianos