Stretch: was "Bloom"

Jon Page jonpage2001@attbi.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:13:33 -0500

I think the topic is straying from the question with tuning style.

Bloom would be the 'harmonic wash' precipitated from a note, the expansion
of the sound from a strong presence
of partials produced by the hammer striking the string. A board with short
sustain would not have a bloom, just decay.
A resilient hammer is needed as well. Bloom can be heard on one note, not
necessarily a chord resounding in intervallic structures.

I haven't heard an Asian piano develop bloom, that whole round tone lifting
as it is sustained; they have a more narrow, piercing tone.

Regards,

Jon Page