M&H uprights/ Re: Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:00:22 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> -Some comments, if you don't mind....
>
> > Stephen Airy <stephen_airy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > If I was a piano manufacturer/dealer I wouldn't
> > > make/sell grands smaller than those with the same
> > > length or shorter strings, or same or less soundboard
> > > area than my uprights.
>
> What does soundboard area have to do with piano performance? All of our
> redesign/remanufacturing work involves reducing the active soundboard area.

I am curious... is it your position that a 9 foots only advantage is the lenght
of the strings .... that the panel itself could just as well be.... say.... half
the size they usally... ignoring for the moment the requirements of the bridge..
?

> >No, it isn't. But it feels faster because you have better control over it.
> The Fandrich Vertical Action did/does not improve repetition speed but it
> does remove dynamic lost motion. It is that dynamic lost motion that makes
> the vertical action fell sloppy and slow.

Thats interesting, can you point me to reading about your action and dynamic
lost motion ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.