M&H uprights/ Re: Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:01:54 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Stephen Airy <stephen_airy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If I was a piano manufacturer/dealer I wouldn't
> make/sell grands smaller than those with the same
> length or shorter strings, or same or less soundboard
> area than my uprights.

Well, having said what I said before about prefering a good upright to a
medium-quality grand, there are some advantages to a grand that some
customers prefer. First, there's the look of it. Second, a grand action is
faster. (However, I found that a well-regulated Renner upright action is
pretty darn fast. If I can ever play well enough that the Renner upright
action won't cut it, then fine -- I deserve a grand anyway. But I don't
expect that to happen any time soon.) Third, uprights tend to have a more
muffled sound due to the fact that they are enclosed in cabinetry.  Many
people like a really bright sound, and it's easier to get that in a grand.
The small and inexpensive ones are really good at providing that. (I
prefer a mellow sound anyway, so the fact that an upright is enclosed
doesn't bother me. Furthermore, the sound of a vertical can be changed a
lot by raising the lid part way or all the way.  Unfortunately, most
people put family pictures on top of the lid, so they don't realize the
potential of their upright piano.)

Also, I found that one can't go by the soundboard area and string length
specifications only. For example, It's true that the M&H doesn't have the
longest strings, and you can hear that the fundamental isn't so pronounced
toward the bottom. But I'd give that up any day for the thick and warm
bass sound a M&H has.

Charles