Baldwin?

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 03:54:20 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Chick (EarthLink) <tune4@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 6:43 AM
Subject: Baldwin?

> A customer asked me to install the correct decal on her 5'0" grand.  The
> former owner removed it when he refinished the piano.  He claims the
> original name said "Baldwin," and pointed out the round metal Baldwin
> insignia nailed to the inside of the rim. But I've never seen a Baldwin
> grand with this style action and trapwork.  The serial # 55210 indicates
> it's manufacturing date circa 1927, under the Baldwin listing.  There is a
> date stamped on the belly rail behind the damper action of March 23, 1928.
> Under other brand names owned by Baldwin, the serial number dates it circa
> 1909.  The knuckle is the style that was formed around a moulding cut into
> the shank, something similar to the Thayer style, and not the typical
> knuckle of today.  The damper tray is split to allow for bass sustain, not
> sustenuto, but no provision for this to the middle pedal, not even a hole
> through the key bed. I can't be sure about the wippen style.  Can any one
> identify this piano as a true Baldwin?  What decal would you use?
>
> Paul Chick

     Round metal insignia nailed (!?) to the inside of the rim?  Sounds
fishy, or at least non-factory.    I thought those discs were the center of
a raised round circle cast in the plate, at least the small bronze circles
about 1 1/4" diameter that say "House of Baldwin" or something similar.
(Sometimes they buzz).   Hope it's not one of the big 4" diameter ones used
much much later above the bass/treble break on uprights -- maybe also on
grands -- I don't remember.   Other names used by Baldwin, according to
Pierce Piano Atlas:  Howard, Hamilton, Howard Ellington, Valley Gem, Saint
Regis, Schroeder, Franke, Kremlin, Modello, Monarch, Sargent, Winton, and of
course Acrosonic.          --David Nereson, RPT, Denver