M&H uprights/ Re: Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:46:12 -0500 (EST)

Can someone briefly describe what the "G Scale" upright is, and how it
differs from the Model 50 upright?

I'm a big M&H fan these days. After several years of piano shopping, I
ended up getting a new M&H Model 50 upright. I found one that sounds
better than I thought any vertical could sound. I don't know if it's the
voicing, or other characteristics of this particular instrument, but it
was far superior to other Model 50's I tried. I'd say this one even blows
away most small grands I've played. And I'm not just talking about power.
I've never found a vertical that can play pianissimo like this one.

I remember a while ago Terry Farrell had described a piano he serviced
that "had a soul". I'd say this piano has one. Even when I don't feel like
playing, I feel like playing it.

I think it's too bad people often opt for cheaper grands over a really
nice vertical in the same price range.

Charles Neuman