need help: don't know if this is the right mailing list

Jane Po marijuana@kusinera.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 23:21:53 -0800

Thanks so much to everyone on this list who responded. I really, really
value your input.

Jane

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 2:46 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org

I would suggest you get an independent technician to help you with this.
Contact the local PTG chapter and ask around, get a feel for a tech you
can have confidence in.

Tell him / her right off that you are simply convinced you want a
Petrof, and dont let them try and talk you out of it...grin.. because
some will (I would be one of those).

Petrofs can be really rough or they can be pretty ok put together. My
experience is that you are playing bingo when you buy one. If you get a
good one then you may likely be very happy with it. But if you dont know
how to make sure you have a decent example of a Petrof in front of you,
then get help from someone who can help you in this regard.

Prices ??  Hard to say.. depends a bit on how nice a case, scratches
etc... how solid the instrument structurally is, and how worn out the
action is... and what your requirements are for these.

Here you could expect a 15 year old Petrof that needs mostly action or
other less intrusive surgery to go for around 8 - 10 thousand dollars.

RicB

Jane Po wrote:

 hi all!i need advice on buying a petrof.

i am in the market for a grand piano and fell in love with the petrof.
i've been looking for a used one but have been unsuccessful.
unfortunately, the only dealers in my area (sf-bay area) are Colton
Pianos. i really do not care for the way they service pianos and i'm
aware that i will be spending a few more $$$ to have the instrument
worked on.

at what price should i start my offer for either model? and at what
price should i draw the line would paying in cash instead of financing
get me a better price?

i've looked at pricing recommendations on rec.music.maker.piano but the
posts on that newsgroup are mostly two years old.

would appreciate this group's sane advice.

-j

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.