Pre-crowning ribs

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:48:57 EST

In a message dated 3/16/2002 4:31:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gharvey@netsource.co.nz writes:

> Subj:Pre-crowning ribs
> Date:3/16/2002 4:31:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:gharvey@netsource.co.nz">gharvey@netsource.co.nz</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>            Hi Grahm

             There has been much info on list about this subject in the
recent months. I posted pictures and a brief description or my procedure
using a table saw style jig just a month or so ago. Check archives under
subject title "Dale Erwins Rib crowning jig."
  A word of warning on increasing rib dimension. Unless you have good reasons
it is unwise IMHO to arbitrarily increase rib depth more than 1 or 2 mm. For
example I don't find that increasing rib depth on model O Steinways except
on the longest ribs helps  tonally. I find that to much depth here just
creates a stingy board. also I personally don't think it's a very forgiving
design.
   Also increasing the rib depth as much as you've suggested is running the
risk of a too stiff system which could end up being tonally stingy, meaning
not a real free sound.  A 4 or 5 mm increase is a mile.
     I am relatively unfamiliar with Bechstein or European pianos in general
but am currently installing a belly in a  6'-3" Bluethner which has all the
Hallmarks of the Del and Ron's cutoff bar and fanned rib design. It has 14
ribs with the tallest being 19 mm and only about two at that the rest range
from 15 to 18.5. I'm only increasing the rib depth in the bass end by 1 to
1.5 mm. I'm also increasing the the fan. This piano had a big tension spike
in the tenor which I've reduced from about  average 190lbs per string to
about 170. I believe the original rib scale was to light for the heavy
tension which contributed with father time to the boards total collapse. Also
realize that the board thickness is something to investigate closely and make
some educated decisions based on that and the type of spruce your using. The
Bleuthner is a beautiful design but  I'm also making a few other changes in
the grain angle of the board so as I'll be able to float the board behind the
bass bridge.I'm sure this will also be an improvement to the bass/bottom end.
(Ron Del thanks for the ideas)
    I believe Del or Ron could contribute more in the numbers crunching dept.
as this is something they've done a good deal of.
          Best----Dale Erwin