Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 20:17:29 -0500

"About the only thing that can be said in favor of the new verticals is that they are smaller and--if only it weren't for the added weight of the MDF--they would be easier to move."

Yeah, but at least you don't have to adjust the tension on the trebuchet! And being smaller, they have less wind resistance!

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Delwin D Fandrich" <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: Jack Wyatt - G Scale M&H

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Delwin D Fandrich
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: March 15, 2002 9:49 PM

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent: March 14, 2002 11:34 AM

    To make a comparison I would say
    that if one was restored well you would
    have to PAY  $15.000 to $18.000
    for a new upright to just get close
    to it in performance  and let's not  even
    mention durability. This is not even close
    to being one of the shiny disposable
    pianos. Good luck and let us all know how
    it turns out after rebuilding.
  It puzzles me why there doesn't seem to be much of a market for these instruments. Companies like M&H built them to the same standards as their grands. I disagree with one point, though, Jack. What do you think could be purchased (of those verticals being built today) for $15,000 to $18,000 that has any chance of comparing favorably with one of these pianos? I've only encountered a couple of these things over the years, but none of the current Japanese or European verticals--regardless of price--is even close to this league.
Actually, I should not have said I 'disagreed' with Jack. It's more that I don't think he went far enough. As I said, regardless of price, none of the new vertical pianos on the market today are in the same league as some of these old uprights. And not just M&H G-scale uprights. Many great old instruments fit into this group.

Certainly not structurally. Select Hardwood backposts are not the same as maple or oak. Or even well-seasoned spruce for that matter. MDF core stock, now considered an economic necessity, is not the same as a properly made lumber-core ply panel. If only there were some advances in scaling or soundboard design the new pianos could point to as a superior feature--but, alas, there are none.

About the only thing that can be said in favor of the new verticals is that they are smaller and--if only it weren't for the added weight of the MDF--they would be easier to move.

Regards,

Del