Impact Hammer

coxnet eliotlee1@cox.net
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:32:56 -0700

Hello,

   I have a Schaff adjustable impact hammer.  I don't know if the Meheffey
hammer is available (they are back-ordered at Pianotek)  which would have
been my first choice.  I never adjust the weight on my Schaff hammer, you
would have to use different hand torque which would be too confusing to me.

   One problem that I have had is that it squeaked, but that was fixed by
putting auto grease inside at the friction point.

   I could not live w/out the impact hammer, before I used to get pain in my
elbow and shoulder.  I only use in tuning upright pianos left handed.  For
grands I use a Hale extension hammer with a 15% angle.

   I can't say my regular hammer technique is perfect, but for me the impact
hammer is easier for moving the pin in small increments.  80% of the pianos
I tune are verticals so I am quite familiar with the impact hammer.

   Jim Coleman Sr. noticed that I was using an impact hammer I was
flagpoling inadvertently by leaning on it when settling the pin to lower the
pitch.  Since then, I have noticed my unison's more stable. Thanks Jim!

   I have heard that there is a special impact for grand pianos, but what I
have seen are too expensive.

Hope this helps you,

Eliot Lee
I was surprised that I only received one response from my impact hammer
question.  I know that a traditional hammer was more popular but I thought
there would be a few more technicians out there who used an impact hammer.

Of those who have used both an impact hammer and a traditional lever, which
do you prefer and why?

Thanks.