Handheld Self-Tuning Piano Device

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:17:06 EST

In a message dated 3/16/02 9:00:13 AM Central Standard Time, rrg@unlv.edu
(Robert Goodale) writes:

> I already have a "hand held piano tuning device".

I'm glad you could see right through the obvious on this, Rob.  There was
recently a lot of discussion of how fast someone could tune a piano.  Only
those with many years of experience, usually 20 or more ever claim to be able
to finish tuning a piano in 30 minutes.  While I can get through one in that
amount of time under ideal circumstances when I really have to, I would never
claim that it is the best that it can be as this phony promotion claims.  I'd
really like to see a manufacturer's rep try to pick someone out of the crowd
at a trade show, a piano owner, not a technician and see what the results are
in 30 minutes.

Add to that, I get the idea from what Kent Swafford said, whoever came up
with this idea got a list of theoretical frequencies from a high school
science book and that's what the victim will be trying to tune the piano to.
When they see that sales of these are lagging, they should offer a free copy
of Isacoff's book from among the stacks of unsold copies.

For more on ridiculous new ideas and trends, see my next post.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin