Fees

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 06:48:00 -0600

Hi Dave,

Now the conversation will go something like this:

How long will it take you to fix the sticking keys and the noisy pedals?

Well it depends on what is causing them to stick, it might be a minor thing and it might not.  I'll have to assess the problem at the piano.

Mike Spalding

----- Original Message -----
From: David Love <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: Fees

My fee for 1.5 hours would not be cheating myself.  The incident which precipitated this was a phone call, it went something like this:

Hello, how much do you charge for a tuning?

Well my basic fee is ___.

Well the piano hasn't been tuned in 15 years.

Well then it could be more if I have to make a pitch correction before fine tuning.

Oh, and also, there are several notes sticking.

Well it depends on what is causing them to stick, it might be a minor thing and it might not.  I'll have to assess the problem at the piano.

Oh, and also the tone is so harsh and bright, is that included in your fee?

Well, no.  That falls under the category of tone regulation and it is difficult to make an assessment not having seen the piano.

You mean it might cost more?

Well, yes.

And the pedals are making a terrible racket.  Is that included.

Well, it depends on the problem.  Why don't we schedule to get the piano tuned and I'll be better able to advise you then.

Oh I don't know, it all sounds a little vague to me.

Yes, to me too...

Sound familiar?  Charging by the hour is easier and fairer.

David Love