Fees

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:34:46 EST

davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Don't take me quite so literally.
>
> David Love

David

I realize that the story you gave is not a word for word telephone
conversation, and neither was mine. And I am not trying to persuade you to
change your practice. I wish you all the luck in the world with it. I just
wanted you to be aware that what you are doing might not solve the problem
you described. It doesn't make any difference what you charge, and how you
justify it. Someone is going to ask you to explain your fee structure, and
they will not be happy with it.

One of the problems we have in this business is that we are dealing with two
different price structures. One is a set fee for a set task. ($80 to tune a
piano). The other is an hourly wage to do everything else. Now we may have
come up with set fees for doing other things, ($250 to put on a set of bridle
straps, $800 to regulate an action, $350 for a new set of keytops). but they
are all based on the amount of time we spend doing them, multiplied by the
hourly rate we charge, (plus parts).

That is why we should set our tuning fee by what we charge per hour. But you
first need to figure out what that hourly rate is. Vivian Brooks and I both
have excellent classes on this, and if you look in the archives, or on the CD
ROM, you will probably find many articles on the subject.

One thing I find disturbing, is there are tuners who charge $70 per tuning,
and take an hour and half to do that tuning. But then they charge $70 per
hour to do technical work.  That means if they need to charge $70 per hour to
pay the bills, every time they go do a tuning, they loose $35. If they did 20
tunings in a week, they will have lost $700. They should be charging the same
for a tuning as they do for technical work, which would be $105. But that
would be way over what everyone else charges. So something's got to give. My
recommendation is to learn to tune faster.

Again, David, please don't think that I am arguing with what you are doing.
As I said, if you think it is fair, and the customers are satisfied, go for
it.

Wim.