Handheld Self-Tuning Piano Device

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:55:08 -0800

I already have a "hand held piano tuning device".

No matter what kind of fancy name they give this thing it will still
require a human to place it over the tuning pins one at a time.  Then
assuming that it's purposes is to set the temperament for you there are
already plenty of ETDs available for that.  This only leaves
automatically turning the pin for you which makes about as much sense as
those stupid handicap doors we have at the university that STILL require
that you pull on them before they open themselves, (duh).  I can see the
stripped and rounded pin heads now.  No small-time home piano owner who
had to finance the purchase of their Korean console is going to buy this
thing and professionals know better.  I think it is going to be a pretty
hard sell.  This of course discounts the fact that pianos require a lot
more than tuning.  If they want to impress me how about inventing a
machine that will repin flanges, shape hammers, and rebush a set of key
bushings in thirty minutes!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV