Fees

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:54:37 -0800

I have gone around in circles about the best way to bill for my services =
that is fair to the customer, adequately compensates me for my time, and =
allows me to provide the best service possible.  Inequities stemming =
from frequency of service, problem pianos, customer expectations, =
combined with my desire to avoid having to explain every nickel and dime =
operation that I see as necessary, have finally led me to structure my =
fee schedule as a pure function of time. =20

My basic fee is now based on a 1.5 hour service call.  In that time, if =
the piano is serviced regularly, I can usually complete a tuning in =
about an hour.  That leaves me 30 minutes to do whatever else I see as =
most pressing: lubricating, cleaning, voicing, etc..  If the piano =
requires a pitch raise or lowering prior to fine tuning, I can usually =
accomplish both comfortably in 1.5 hours, usually with a little time =
left over.  If the amount of work required, or requested, exceeds 1.5 =
hours then I bill the additional hourly.  If the piano is a Steinway F =
or some other such monster I will usually require the entire 1.5 hours =
if the piano is at pitch to begin with (not my problem, they bought the =
stinkin' thing without asking me).  But generally, I can then leave the =
piano having taken care of something other than tuning.  The customer =
will be more satisfied with the instrument and the instrument will =
better represent my abilities. =20

In the past, when I have suggested that a piano needs something to a =
customer, they have often replied, "Gee, why didn't the last technician =
tell me that."  The truth is that we get into such a mindset that =
customers are unwilling to entertain the idea of doing something that =
entails an additional cost, that we often neglect to do things that =
really should be done routinely.  Using this method I can, over time, =
address most of the needs of a piano if the customer is servicing the =
piano on a regular basis. =20

Going to this method required a slight increase in my fee and I was a =
bit concerned about this at first.  But I am finding little or no =
resistance when I explain that the fee buys a block of time.  Overall, =
it has allowed me to reduce my appointment load on any given day to a =
maximum of 4 (before it was 5).  There is less driving and less stress =
involved in making it to the next appointment on time when I run into =
something unexpected.  I can deliver better service and feel more =
satisfied with my work.  Customers are ultimately more pleased with the =
instruments (even if they don't know exactly why) which is good for =
referral business.  I suggest you all consider it. =20

David Love