Baldwin?

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:33:33 -0500

At 07:43 AM 3/15/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>A customer asked me to install the correct decal on her 5'0" grand.  The
>former owner removed it when he refinished the piano.  He claims the
>original name said "Baldwin," and pointed out the round metal Baldwin
>insignia nailed to the inside of the rim. But I've never seen a Baldwin
>grand with this style action and trapwork.  The serial # 55210 indicates
>it's manufacturing date circa 1927, under the Baldwin listing.  There is a
>date stamped on the belly rail behind the damper action of March 23, 1928.
>Under other brand names owned by Baldwin, the serial number dates it circa
>1909.  The knuckle is the style that was formed around a moulding cut into
>the shank, something similar to the Thayer style, and not the typical
>knuckle of today.  The damper tray is split to allow for bass sustain, not
>sustenuto, but no provision for this to the middle pedal, not even a hole
>through the key bed. I can't be sure about the wippen style.  Can any one
>identify this piano as a true Baldwin?  What decal would you use?
>
>Paul Chick

Unless it has "Baldwin" cast into the plate is a product of Baldwin:
Howard, Sargent, Monarch (?)
or something which had the Baldwin Medallion tacked on. In which case it
would be unethical in
not illegal to place a Baldwin decal on the fallboard.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com