Full plates and overstrung scales (was Re: chickering)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:53:36 0000

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:48:00
 Farrell wrote:
>I do so enjoy learning about the older pianos. I have yet to hear a good Chickering, and as such have not had the opportunity to hear the "Chickering sound". Please send any pictures you may have. I would love to see them. I think Chickering had the first full plate. Did this have a full iron plate ( I think the first was about 1840ish)?

The first American piano patent is for a metal plate in a piano.  Given to A Babcock (who
was associated with Chickering) on December 17, 1825.  The first one piece cast plate
is shown (but interestingly not claimed) in Patent 1802 (October 31, 1839) given to
A Babcock for J Chickering and J & W Mackay.  Patent 3238 for a full cast plate for a grand
piano was granted to J Chickering September 9, 1843.

 Didn't Steinway do the first overstrung piano in the mid 1850s?

Contrary to popular opinion Steinway did not invent the overstrung scale.  Steinway holds
Patent 26532 (Dec. 20, 1859)which claims the application of overstringing to a grand piano.
As a matter of interest Patent 8002 (March 25, 1851) illustrates overstringing in an upright
piano but the patentee seemed to feel that it was so common it was not even worth claiming
(the patent claims are for something else).  Patent 23834 (May 3, 1859) illustrates
overstringing in a grand piano, but once again no claim was made for it (once again, the
claims in the patent are for something else).

Phil F

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com