Flat rollers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:35:19 -0500

Hmmmm. I'm suprised Gerald did not point out that quite like piano soundboards, violins improve with age!

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Posey" <poseyviolins@charter.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: Flat rollers

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Brekne To: pianotech@ptg.org Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 3:07 PMSubject: Re: Flat rollers

   would you say that the violin and the piano have much in common as musical instruments ?

  I belong to a violin maillist and this piano list.  both of them have long discussions about soundboards , and arguments about being historicaly correct versus modern techniques .   The violin list has much more discussion on varnish and modal analysis of soundboard vibrations (e.g. Chladni and others)  There are discussions on physics fo string motion.  And much speculation about the mystery and assumed superiorority of the ancient Italian makers