Pearl River

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:14:28 -0700

    I think that they're very spotty when it comes to quality control. I =
had one, a GP 142 micro grand last week that just about drove me nuts. ( =
Further nuts, that is)
    It didn't have any glide bolts on the balance rail, and the front =
rail was hanging up there in the air, clacking all the way. Since the =
first thing that I do when I regulate is tighten the key frame and =
action bracket screws, I decided that I was going to have to reduce the =
amount of wood on this little ledge that the balance rail sits on. After =
about half an hour of sanding by hand, I finally got it. Trouble is, I =
doubt as it will stay there; they seem to be quite un-stable and I =
suspect it's due to the piano continuing to dry out over time.
    Funny thing though, all the other pianos of the same kind have glide =
bolts. I don't know how we got stuck with this one lemon.
    No, I still think they're strictly entry level.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 4:23 PM
  Subject: Pearl River

  Friends,

  The Pearl River people gave a seminar to our PTG chapter this past
  Tuesday.  It appears clear to me the company is rectifying the things
  that gave them such a bad reputation in the past, while at the same =
time
  acknowledging their pianos are intended to be entry level.

  >From what I saw on the showroom floor, I believe I could recommend =
them
  to low end buyers.  IMO they are superior to the entry level pianos
  manufactured in this country 40-50 years ago.  Do you agree?

  Regards,
  Clyde