Synthesizer pioneer nostalgic for pre-tech days

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:58:48 EST

Synthesizer pioneer nostalgic for pre-tech days

By Adam Tanner

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - One of the pioneers of the modern synthesizer industry
said Thursday he had doubts about the benefits of the technology revolution
and said he did not even like the modern music the synthesizer has helped
spawn.

Tsutomu Katoh, 75, founded Korg Inc in 1963 and his company's products helped
make synthesizers a central element in contemporary music, even to the extent
that they often overshadowed the electric guitar in the 1980s and 1990s.

Yet the chairman of the innovative company said in an interview he does not
celebrate the synthesizer's omnipresence.

"A man of my age really cannot enjoy the music today," Katoh told Reuters.
"It's a matter of taste."

"When I was young, soon after the war, American music flooded Japan, things
like jazz and especially swing," he said.

"But in those days older people thought such music was indecent or even
stupid. This kind of reaction will always happen between the generations."

Back then, Katoh developed a passion not only for jazz but for Argentine
tango music.

Part of the generation who inherited a country destroyed by war, Katoh was
one of millions who rebuilt Japan and made it the world's second economic
power after the United States.

Even though he played a role in Japan's technological revolution, Katoh is
ambivalent about the changes.

"Our lives today would have been unimaginable to those living 45 years ago,"
he said, seated at the back of a bus at the Korg stand at Frankfurt's
Musikmesse, the world's largest musical instruments show.

"When I look at images of life in Afghanistan today I am reminded of those
days soon after the war when there was nothing in Japan," he said. "But then
I wonder is life really all that better than it was in those days. People
might even have been happier in those years right after the war."

"People had such high hopes for the future back then. Not all of those hopes
have been achieved."

BUSINESS BOOMING

Katoh, a nightclub owner at the the time, formed Korg with a well-known
Japanese accordeon player in 1963, first issuing a rhythm machine called the
Donca-Matic.

Korg started developing keyboards and synthesizers several years later. In
1988, the company introduced the M1, which was a huge success with its
realistic sampled sounds of many different instruments such as the piano,
guitar, flute and drums.

It included an ability to record a mix of those different sounds, making it
easy to record complex compositions at home.

Business is still going well with the latest generation of synthesizers, and
Katoh, whose family owns 40 percent of Korg, said worldwide sales grew five
percent in fiscal 2001 ending March 31 to about 14 billion Japanese yen ($108
million).

Proud though he is of the company's achievements, Katoh feels it is all a bit
like one of the frenetic rhythm patterns on one of his synthesizers.

"I know my views are inconsistent, ambivalent," Katoh said. "The whole world
is going too fast, we feel too pressed, and everybody feels tired from this."