Fwd: Distorted ringing sound

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:06:28 EST

--part1_7f.22dffada.29c20864_alt_boundary
Can any one help Wes with this problem. You can write him directly, or answer
on the list, and I'll forward the messages to him. (Wes is an Associate
member of the Birmingham chapter, and lives in Northeast Alabama).

Wim

In a message dated 3/13/02 9:02:07 PM Central Standard Time,
hardman@hiwaay.net writes:

> Wim.....You may be able to give me some insight on a Young Chang piano that
> I service. The  c  two octaves above middle c produces a distorted ringing
> sound when played loudly with the sustain pedal despressed....the adjacent
> c sharp does the same thing....Apparently, many years ago when the church
> got the piano, this was a real problem in that section of the instrument,
> because it looks as though the technician packed front rail felt punchings
> in between the nonspeaking portion of the strings and the capo bar to try
> to solve the problem....but the tinny, distorted ringing continues in that
> section.
> It sounds as though the strings are touching something metal, especially on
> the sustain.
>
> Could it be that the damper wire is coming in contact with the string in
> some way?
>
> Please share your thoughts on this.  Wesley Hardman

--part1_7f.22dffada.29c20864_alt_boundary
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--part1_7f.22dffada.29c20864_alt_boundary--

An embedded message was scrubbed...