Yamaha New Models

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:22:51 +0930

Hi Mark,

Hey, I was a bit tongue in cheek about my comments on Yamaha's humidity
control in their pianos. Didn't want to start a battle going.

Understand what you are saying is that if you make a piano to the "Super
Dry" specification then that piano will handle the climatic changes to other
areas better than a piano made for the other area would handle the drier
climate.

Did I say that right ?.

But does that mean that when Yamaha makes pianos for England that they are
selling them an inferior product. One that should not be taken to another
climate ?  And, would this then put all the English pianos in the same class
as the so called GREY pianos from Japan ?

Or should I just shut up.

Today I inspected a 132 Diapason (Kawai) piano, It was sold in Perth to this
customer who told the dealer that they were taking it to Darwin.  He
suggested that he should fit a de-humidifying bar to the piano. He did.
I checked the piano out and the tenor / treble had dropped by 35 Cents +
bass by 12 Cents. I felt the bar to see how hot it was and burned my
fingers. The bar is now disconnected.

My point here is, OK in humid conditions, as you say, a lot of places are
air conditioned thus negating the humidity.  Isn't it the same in England
and Japan ?. There was something I was going to say about the mentality of
people in the colder countries like Japan and England but it's still the
silly season down here with today's temp of 33 C and humidity of 85% we all
get a little crazy.

Regards

Tony Caught
Darwin