Kellner Wohltemperirt/ Bach Temperament

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 05:22:14 EST

David writes:
>quick note to say that yesterday I spent 3 hours doing the best
>tuning I could do on a Boston GP-178 grand.  The temperament I used was
>the  Kellner W/B,
>wow!  I love this tuning!  It is stunning!
> could spend hours playing and just listening to the sounds I never heard
> before.  The piano seemed to have a lot more sustain and singing
>quality.  And of course, the wide variety of color in the various keys.
 >Why isn't this tuning promoted more?  And how can I promote this tuning
>more?

Greetings,

    The Kellner tuning is a very well researched piece of work.  Anton
Kellner has a tremendous amount of numerology to evidence that Bach would
have preferred his tuning this way, and has been promoting its use for many
years,(he was ahead of most of us in this).  It is almost identical to the
Werckmeister and Paul Bailey temps, and exhibits the same form as all the
WT's of the piano's formative stages.  It does have a nice variety of color,
and it does create a LOT of resonance.
   Why isn't it used more?  That would be because of us techs not using it,
but that is changing rapidly.
How can you promote it?  By picking your opportuninties and knowing where it
would be more appropriate than others.  A prime requirement of temperament
knowledge is where to sell them.  Side  by side comparisons with ET have
never failed to waken significant percentages of listeners to the added
resources of the WT's, and in my experience of the last 9 years, this applies
to technicians, teachers, and pianists alike.
Regards,
Ed Foote