I Wish!( 2nd topic)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:00:49 EST

David writes:
>There does seem to be this notion that ET was not possible on the instruments
>of that day.  This idea has been promulgated by Jorgensen and others.

 Greetings,
     Um,  could we clarify this a little?  I don't think Jorgensen posited
that the instruments were the problem, (ET is as easily tuned on the
fortepiano as it is on a modern one, in my limited experience).  Rather, the
technolgy, in the form of the tests required, was lacking.  When was it
available and how long would it plausibly have taken to displace the status
quo, (MT and WT).
     Seems to me that the "Riddle" was not the existance of ET, but rather,
how to go about achieving it.  An analogy to creating ET might be the Rubik's
cube.  Both are very simple concepts, just put all like colors on each side,
or simply space all those 12 notes equidistant from one another.  However,
the interrelated nature of the components makes either of these a very
complicated enterprise to actually achieve, especially since the sound dies
away on a strung instrument,(Mersenne suggests that ET wouldn't be possible
on the harpsichords because the pitches had to be judged by ear,as opposed to
placing lute and viol frets).  Tuning ET without a specific plan would be
more akin to solving a Rubik's cube puzzle when you had to turn out the
lights and change the position of the cube every 5 seconds.  That doesn't
sound simple to me!
   Without a specific plan of action, I don't think the solution to either of
these two puzzles would be within the grasp of the overwhelming majority of
those attempting it.  So, when was the first indication that interval tests
such as the M3-m3 or the M3-6th were being employed?
Regards,
Ed Foote