I Wish!

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:33:22 EST

In a message dated 3/13/02 8:28:30 AM Central Standard Time,
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu (Conrad Hoffsommer) writes:

> >Anybody have any ideas on why an artist of his supposed caliber would do
> >this?
>

> Other than the instructions at the beginning of the movement saying "senza
> sordino", I can't think of a reason.

I can't either.  If you are going *alter* the music by using an instrument
which is far larger with much longer sustain than anything Beethoven had and
particularly, tune in a way which by all accounts Beethoven would never have
had done, why take a small notation like that literally?  It produced very
dissonant sounds which for me, ruined it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin