Chickering quarter grands

Larry Lobel hayforker@earthlink.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:55:22 -0800

The shellac is a great idea, Rob -- thanks!

Larry Lobel
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Goodale=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 10:22 AM
  Subject: Re: Chickering quarter grands

  I'm thinking perhaps a few drops of shellac in the flange/head where =
the wire goes in might be enough to lock it in.  I've seen this work =
very well in other situations.  It swells the wood just a little bit and =
then hardens but it won't stick so it is still easily adjustable later.

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV

  Larry Lobel wrote:

    I restored one of these a couple of years ago, and recently went =
back to tune it.  I noticed the damper heads are all askew and have been =
thinking about how to fix this.  The damper wires are screw-threaded at =
both ends; that is, into the top flange on the bottom and into the head =
on top, so they're free to rotate and don't stay aligned to the strings. =
 I hesitate to do anything that would permanently lock them in place, =
like gluing them, which would make it difficult for the next rebuilder =
to deal with.  Anyone have any suggestions for this?

    I agree these were nicely built pianos, but the tone on the one I =
restored is weak and antiquated, like pianos built in before 1860, =
especially in the high treble. =20

    Larry Lobel
    Virtuoso Piano Service
    Petaluma, California 94952  USA