Cracked Pin Block?

William R. Monroe pianowrmonroe@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:11:49 -0700

Hi all,

I tuned a 1900 Kroeger "Upright Grand" [giggle] today.  Very loose =
tuning pins.  Tried tapping to see if that had any effect.  Helped on a =
couple.  Then - Ooops, where'd you go?  I tapped one in and it sunk =
nearly to the winding on the pin.  And, the string required probably a =
full turn or more to bring it back up to pitch (this was in the tenor).  =
Again, many loose pins in this "instrument", and am curious what you all =
would think the culprit is.  Also, if it were a cracked pinblock, how =
would you know for certain?

Thanks,

William R. Monroe
PTG Associate