Impact Hammer

SUSAN P SWEARINGEN ssclabr8@flash.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:29:54 -0600

I am a fairly new tuner and started almost immediately with an impact =
hammer for uprights.  I have two questions regarding the use of impact =
hammers.

1.  Do any of you use the impact hammer like a traditional hammer?  That =
is, do you bring the note a few cents sharp and then back it down to =
pitch while rendering the string?  I have heard some people say that =
this is unnecessary with an impact hammer because no twist is in the pin =
after impact.  You can just bring the note up to pitch (or down to =
pitch) with no overshoot.  Any thoughts?

2.  I'm thinking of purchasing the impact grand hammer from Mother Goose =
Tools.  As it's not cheap, does anyone use this impact hammer for grands =
and if so, what do you think?

Thanks,
Corte Swearingen
Chicago