Myths and Beliefs

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:16:19 +0100

Bill Bremmer wrote

>> > Richard, I listen to pianos all the time, both here, in my area and
>> >
>> > everywhere I travel.  I do occasionally find a good representation
>> > of ET.
>> > Sometimes, to my surprise, I find a mild WT as I did at the
>> > Steinway
>> > dealership in Los Angeles last June.  But the great majority of
>> > what I hear
>> > is not really ET and most often is Reverse Well.

Bill, I have no reason to doubt that many tuners, along the road towards
learning a great ET temperament, make mistakes. Perhaps even make common
ones, and perhaps even on of these is the reverse well. But my point is
that ET, tho it may be hard, is quite doable for any tech who takes the
time to look at such possible mistakes and pitfalls and correct them.

I have tried your EBVT by the way, and liked it well enough. I have one
piano tuned to it at the UiB for the time being as part of my on-going
experimentation with such things.  So its not that I have a problem with
ET or any non ET. I dont. Why should I ?? I think its good to learn to
do as many as possible. Your EBVT is a good one actually for working on
your ear / beat counting skills IMHO.

Its good that it is pointed out that perhaps there is a common mistake
being made by those attempting to learn first class ET tunings. Its
another thing to imply that learning to tune a true ET is perhaps beyond
most every tuners potential, and personally I doubt seriously that it
is.  Its all a matter of identifying your own shortcommings, and working
on them.

In any case, the tunings by experienced tuners I have been looking at
over the past 8 months are generally well withing acceptable ET norms.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.