Everyday somthing new

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 06:50:55 -0600

Bill,  About 20 years ago I used to do work for a store that made the BIG
mistake of trying to clean some slightly tarnished wound strings on a
small Yamaha grand.  They used Tarnex.  All of the strings died, dead
never to speak again.  The dealer paid for the new strings and their
installation.  My guess is that if someone cleaned these strings, they
will have to be replaced.

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:54:49 -0500 Bill Pillmore
<billpillmore@earthlink.net> writes:
> Maybe someone can explain this.  I went to a customer today to give a
> second opinion on restringing the bass section of her 20 year old
> 5'1""
> Kawai grand.  What I found was the whole bass section was dead as a
> door
> nail.  My first inclination was the bass bridge was coming unglued
> but
> there was no indication of this. (The bass bridge where it is glued
> is
> mostly under the plate and out of view.)  Putting pressure on the
> bass
> bridge seemed to show it was intact.  The customer said after a
> normal
> tuning from her regular tuner, the strings seemed to go dead.  The
> technician after referring to a colleague twisted the strings and
> she
> thought they sounded better for a day or so but now he is saying the
> bass section needs to be restrung.  Although there is little bearing
> there is some.  I tuned down a string made sure it was seated on the
> bridge, messed around scratched my head, and retuned the string.  It
> bounced back to life and two or three other strings did the same.
> Before getting further involved I thought I might want to think
> about
> this for a day.  I have never seen anything like this before.  Any
> help?
> Bill

Bill Schlipf
Bloomington, IL