Chickering Quarter Grand Quality

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:25:40 -0800

Interesting enough I just bought a Chickering Quarter Grand from a
client yesterday.  It is actually in pretty decent shape and was
restrung about six years ago. Whoever did it seems to have done a decent
job of it.  It formally had an Ampico player in it, (too bad some ding
bat removed it), so it has big double legs which have some fancy
turning.  The case is really nice with two-tone veneer pieces and a
scrolled desk.  It could use a good refinishing although it does not
look dark at all, only checked.  It is the Centennial special edition
with a little brass plaque screwed to the plate.  I think it would look
classy all buffed up and shined.  I only paid $1,800 for it.

Alan Meyer and I are going to make it a joint project.  We aren't going
to do a full rebuild for lack of time and current space.  We are just
going to fix it up nice and then resell it quick for money toward our
shop.    I figure new hammers/shanks, dampers and front key bushings.
 Six chipped ivory tops need to be replaced.  I'm going to sand it down
and fill the checking with sealer and then shoot it with a coat of
lacquer.  After a good rub down it should look half way decent.  I'm
sure we could unload it fast for about $5,000.00,  (does anyone have an
opinion on this?)  Sometime I would like to do a complete restoration on
one of these, I think there is a lot of potential there.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV