Zing

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:19:12 -0500

Friends,

Last Wednesday I tuned a 1961 Wurlitzer spinet that had an obvious zing
on a hard blow in C#4 and to a lesser degree in D4.  With a little
detective work I decided a string is slightly contacting the bridge
where it shouldn't be, at the notch.  Since the client wasn't available,
I didn't fix the problem, because if the kids play the piano lightly
they never noticed it before anyway.

But I do want to fix it.  This is the third time I tuned this piano,
annually, and the first time two years ago it needed a 160c pitchraise.
What is an appropriate, and hopefully easy, way to take care of this
nuisance noise?  Would slipping a thin wooden shim between the upper and
lower bridge pins, flat against the bridge, under all three strings of
the unison, be the way to go?  Or should I get myself a nice sharp 1/4"
chisel and chip away the offending wood?  Any better ideas?  Probably a
ridiculously easy question, but I don't recall running into this before.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA