Myths and Beliefs

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:00:51 +0100

Someone recently wrote:

     " I don't believe this is true because tuning a really and
     truly Equal
      Temperament is as difficult to do by ear as isdrawing a
     perfectly straight
      line free hand without a ruler.  It is not impossible but
     very few can really
      do it.  Add to that, the information we have now was not
     known back then and
      the instruments they had back then were far more unstable
     than today's."

I have actually had the chance to start checking out the validity of
this statement, and find it to be resoundingly false. True, ET is a
tough cookie...but way more then a "very few" can tune it.  It may be
true perhaps that there are some common errors and tendancies for less
experienced or for those who dont really persue the beast...  yet my
preliminary findings in looking informally into the matter point quite
clearly in the direction that todays tuners are quite capable of tuning
what can only be termed as a true ET.

Might be fun to see just how many of us really pull off a good ET, and
try and find out what it took for us to learn in the end how to do it.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.