Chickering Quarter Grand Quality

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:05:59 -0500

I service a 5' 7" 1907 Chickering Quarter Grand, scale 121. Just tuned it today. Just curious if anyone has rebuilt one of these - what kind of results has anyone had. It appears to be a massively built piano. Very heavy sawn inner rim laminated outer rim. Heavy bracing underneath, all arranged in a rather splendid manner. Back scale on both the long bridge and bass bridge a "country mile" long - I know Del would like that. 52 mm C88 speaking length. It only has five ribs on the whole soundboard!

Looks to me like a piano that would respond very well to an efficient soundboard, maybe a separate low tenor bridge, etc., etc.,. The width of this piano is only about two inches wider than the 88-note keyboard.

When did Aeolian turn the Chickerings into....well,.... let's just say - not what they once were?

Terry Farrell