Dunce of the Year

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:28:49 -0800

Early in my tuning career, I was sent by Sheldon Smith (to whom I was
apprenticed) to tune a new Steinway console. My tuning was reaonably
passable and I entered the house with confidence. It was a very upscale
house in San Francisco, with expensive crystal, rugs, and other
appointments; the owner was an elegant, well-dressed lady who watched me as
I set up to tune. I had never seen this shiny, black, new model before...
and I could not figure out how to open the case! There were no levers or
latches that I could find. I pulled the front of the case to see if it would
just pull apart; it was solid. I tried gently to pull it harder; no budge;
and she was watching me more closely. I was sweating. Sheldon was not
reachable. I had to admit "Ma'am, I have never encountered this type of case
before and frankly I do not know how to open it." It's about thirty years
later and I'm still embarrassed about it.

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799