Tuning pin Drilling Angle

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:44:50 -0800

Del,
YOU taught me 5 degrees, remember? Seriously tho, it depends on the
configuration of the bearing surfaces between the tuning pin and the
aggraffe/capo bar/"v" bar/etc.
In the typical grand there is a low bearing surface and then the aggraffe at
a lower plane. In many grands there is a thicker bearing surface that
dictates that the tuning pin angle needs to be greater in order for the
string to "slightly" bear up against the coil.
I should not have given the 5 degrees suggestion without clarifying the
situation. For most of us, (rebuilders), it becomes intuitive as to what
angle to drill at, regarding the configuration of the web/bearing
surface(s), etc.
In some of the really olde, open-faced pin blocks, the pinblock itself is at
a pretty steep angle. In that case I choose to drill whereas the tuning pin
is straight up and down, even tho the actual angle of tuning pin/pinblock
surface may be as much as 10 degrees!
I think the rule should be: examine the situation and drill accordingly.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)