Retailers - is there a remedy?

Sun, 10 Mar 2002 07:24:40 -0500

List -

Thanks for the many replies to this unfortunate situation.  It is
interesting to note the varied approaches we all take to the same
problem.

Based purely on one phone conversation with the owner, her complaints
center mostly around the action - tight centers, clicking hammers,
squeaking keys - but also include buzzing/rattling strings and, of
course, a squeaky pedal.  I have not found her to be unreasonable or
overly picky in any way in the past, but it is possible she has raised
the bar of acceptability with a new instrument.  Still,  I certainly can
sympathize with her frustration after 3 tech visits in 9 days with no
resolution to any these varied problems.  So, the complaints center
around the performance of the piano, to be sure, but the fact that a
maraschino-cherry red piano was chosen for her by her parents cannot
possibly make it any better, one would think!  There's more than one bad
actor in this lousy play....

My policy has always been to get involved ONLY when absolutely necessary
in situations like this, and when I have been asked/authorized by the
dealer to make the necessary repairs.  Until then, I don't consider this
my problem, and think it is up to the owner and dealer to find a
solution.  Color me Consultant, until things change.

Thanks again for the many shared thoughts.  I will post the results of
the impending battle when things get resolved.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com