Tax code #

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:55:15 EST

In a message dated 3/9/02 10:44:06 AM Central Standard Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com (pianolover 88) writes:

> On "Schedule C" of the Federal form, under "B", is the "business code" to
> fill in. Which code would best describe piano tuning business, since there
> is NO  code for this specific line of work? The one which seemed to come
> closest is #451140 "Musical instrument and supplies stores". I selected
> this
> because I'm a floor tuner for a Piano store, in addition to my own private
> business. Thanks for the help.
>

> Terry

Terry,

I don't usually asnwer this kind of question but my advice is:  711510
Independant Artists, writers & performers...

under, Arts, Entertainment & Recreation, subcategory:  Performing Arts,
Spectator Sports & Related Industries.

This would be the most appropriate for you since you are also a performance
artist.  It allows you the maximum amount or write offs for business.

What you do is art, whether it is in someone's home or on a stage, it's not
"appliance repair" or retailing even if you do sell a small amount of retail
products.

If you were strictly a rebuilder, the category would probably be different
but even if you get a shop going, how much different is that from having a
shop for theater prop building?  It's art, it's not machinery, computer or
vehicle repair.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin